It’s that time of the year again… The mercury is dropping and you will soon be waking up early in the morning. Why, you may ask? Well, it’s back to school time. Among the many things you have to manage, back to school is the perfect time for scheduling your kid’s annual physical, because:
- It’s easy to remember that your kid needs an annual health exam
- It’s a good idea to make sure your kid is in good shape before going to school
The fact of the matter is that annual physical exams are necessary. Your doctor will be better able to spot any potential health problems that may arise at an early stage, which makes treatment and prevention easier.
But, why is back to school the right time for the annual physical?
- Some schools require that your child have a clean bill of health before the term commences. If you have young kids, you might have to provide proof of vaccination. Your child’s doctor will bring him/her up to speed in terms of vaccines and also provide a complete health report.
- If your child is taking up sports in school, you might have to take him/her for sports physical. You can combine it with the annual physical. After all, you would have a hard time convincing your child to visit the doctor twice in a year!
The doctor will poke and prod your kid in different parts as part of the checkup. Obviously, your kid will not be used to this, and hence you need to prepare your child for the physical. You should talk to your child about what to expect and the questions the doctor might ask.
You can also inform your kid about the different vaccines and immunizations he might receive at the clinic. Some level of preparation will help you calm your child’s nerves before the exam and also keeps his/her anxiety level low.
What You Need
You need some documents to be ready for your kid’s annual physical. Among the items you need are
- Your family’s medical history
- Insurance card and photo ID
- Prescription for any medication your kid is taking